Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Exhibition Poster//three concepts

For the crit tomorrow, I need to come up with three different concepts/ideas for the exhibition poster design. I wrote up notes outlining each concept with an A3 design sheet of ideas to go with it.

#1
'the g-spot'

content and information about exhibition laid out like a dictionary definition, defining 'g-spot' an abbreviated term for 'Graphics Spot', the name of the exhibition





#2
The G Spot

a visual representation of the name, creating a logo or an identity in someway
the circle also representing the nature of the exhibition which is constant, revolving, cyclical... 






#3
Traffic

the exhibition space itself sees a lot of student traffic on a daily basis
it's a spot where people linger but never stay for too long...(amber light)




Exhibition Poster//studio workshop notes

As a group, we generated words and ideas taken from the brief to kickstart some concept ideas in preparation for tomorrow's crit.




Collectively as a class, we put together new lists of different word associations 
from the brief.

EXHIBIT
spectacle
public
clinical
showcase
communicate
discover
present
opportunity
interaction
observation

THE SPACE
traffic
platform
educational
recreational
environment
surroundings
walkway
mezzanine
relax
5 minutes

CHANGES
revolver
adapt
alternate
cycle
flip
metamorphosis
seasons
trends
regenerate
evolve

BI-MONTHLY
fresh
inspiring
parallel
turnover
roundabout
reflection
periods
two

Exhibition Poster//design development

I want the main visual feature of the poster design to reflect the 'spot' or cyclical nature of the exhibition (and it's title)


I was keen to experiment with paper-craft and die-cutting
creating a poster without the use of printers or ink


I want to keep the text minimal with the title bold to stand out and catch the audiences attention in order for them to read further into the details of the exhibition


I had quite a limited colour range but wanted to keep the colour scheme appealing to both sexes and striking/contrasting in order to be eye-catching


chosen colour scheme


preparing the files for the laser-cutter
I had to re-size the poster down from A2 slightly to ensure that all the laser-cut pieces fit together perfectly, avoiding any alignment errors when using the laser cutter







final digital mock-up of the poster


Monday, 29 April 2013

Exhibition Model//photography experimentation

As I would be including photographs of the model into the promotional material designs (flyers and poster) I tested out some different photography experiments using a range of cameras, photography apps and effects to see what kind of style and angle would be 
most appropriate.

This series of photos here have been taken using three different filters on Instagram.
I used Instagram primarily due to the link between Polaroid and Instagram- the Instagram Polaroid camera. 


Also as Urban Outfitters are predominantly a contemporary fashion retailer, Instagram relates to this idea of 'contemporary' in terms of photography.


This filter (used on the first three photographs) allows for the bold, bright rainbow colours of the Polaroid branding to really pop-out and contrast against the black and white colour scheme of the rest of the exhibition. 


This filter here creates a more sepia, warmer effect creating hazy tones which soften the harshness of the model shape whilst adding emphasis on the light and shadow in 
each image.




The third and final Instagram effect that I tested out again softens the harsh edges in the composition and highlights the light and shadow to create more depth and texture to each photograph.




I also bought the Polamatic app on my phone which allows you to take photos in the style of a Polaroid, using different styles of frames and filters to create different 
Polaroid styles. 



In terms of the composition and perspective of this particular image, this gives a good feel for how the exhibition will appear and be laid out, whilst the masking tape addition on the frame adds a bit of authenticity to the Polaroid style image.





I also quite like this angular style of photography with the model presented on a slant for an alternative perspective of the exhibition.




Seeing as I own a Polaroid camera, I tested out some of my own Polaroid photography to see the difference in tone and style, and add to the range of cameras and effects used in order to get the best resolution for my promo material.




Unfortunately, my last pack of film was severely out of date, and even though most of the time that can mean the polaroids come out with some interesting and unexpected effects, this film didn't develop properly and so woud be unusable for any of the final product range.

Exhibition Model//design development

I had all the foam board wall parts of the exhibition model laser-cut to ensure they would be exactly the right measurements and for a neat finish instead of trying to 
cut by hand.



I printed the interior and visuals of the exhibition on clear and white vinyl for a smooth, neat finish to the model.


laying out and sticking the vinyls onto the co-ordinating pieces of foam board



FINAL MODEL

To construct the model and assemble all the pieces, I used dress-making pins to slot all the walls in place and reduce any mess that may be caused by using glue, and this seemed to work effectively and securely overall.



I've taken a range of photos to show the model of the pop-up exhibition from different perspectives and viewpoints, showing all the aspects and features displayed. These photos also gave me an idea of the kind of angle and style that could the work the best for when used in the promotional material for the exhibition.